[dundee] Freshers Fair

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 6 11:57:44 BST 2007

I have xubuntu (xfce) running in 128mb of ram on a p3 600mhz laptop

works fine!

Paul Lancaster <paul_lancaster at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: Nistur Effee wrote:
> Much as I haven't tried all that much in terms of liveCDs, mainly LFS build disks, and I don't think they're suitable.
> I don't know whether you mean for purely demonstration purposes
yes - just to show that you can play games, and looks better than desktops.

>  or to hand out but  I think we should consider the reason that there are hundreds of different distros. Therefore there should be distros aimed at different audiences being offered.For example, much as I still dislike suggesting it, Ubuntu for people who just want to use a pc, no games or fancy business and wouldn't know a block device if it hit them in the face. Also, I'd then suggest Puppy for lower end machines.

Believe it or not thats been exactly whats been said at the last couple
of meetings.

A vanilla desktop running Ubuntu and an old laptop running Puppy just to
show what can be easily done. with howto's on the web site to cover
setting up.
And a couple of fun machines - ie full 3d works (eg beryl) and a games m/c

> Anyway, that's my thoughts, take them or leave them. I should be there for the next meeting though :)

> Signing out
> Nistur                            nistur at karate.com

Paul

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk