[dundee] Automatix & Ubunt

Nistur Effee nistur at karate.com
Thu Aug 9 15:31:08 BST 2007

I tried to do something similar recently, backing up 2GB SD cards that I use for my phone, I found that dd copies bit for bit, so I ended up with a 2GB image file, which was no good as I had 1.4GB of data and a 1.4GB DVD to burn it to.
The problem with your dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/mnt/usb/backup is that you would have to own a usb device of equal or greater storage as your current partition, even if you only use 500MB of it. What I used previously (never needed to restore, so I don't know whether it actually worked) was to tar/gzip everything into seperate files, so I had backup-09.08.07.tar.gz which contained the main file system, apart from /usr /etc /home (it had /proc /dev but they were empty dirs) and then backup-etc-09.08.07.tar.gz backup-usr-09.08.07.tar.gz backup-home-09.08.07.tar.gz for the other directories needed.
I agree this is also long winded and difficult but means you don't end up attempting to create a 300GB backup file for 500MB of data
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this would also same perms, access dates etc so if needed, the system *should* be an exact copy
Signing out
Nistur                            nistur at karate.com