[dundee] Virtual machines can trash your system

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 13 17:52:25 BST 2007

sorry, I did'nt quite understand what you were doing..
still sounds complex I need a diagram?

when repairing filesystem with live cd's et al, then make sure you've got the same filesystem version and associated tools working it, or major snaffu will happern. That's what single user mode is for, as you can check fs in this state.

ex2/ext3 should support large files no problem. you use to have to patch libc6 to use largefile support, but that was ages ago, you don't on any modern linux distro.

hmm, some how this filesystem has got corrupted, it would'nt anything to do with sparse files would it, could that can cause a bit of confusion??

gordon dunlop <gordon at zubenel.freeserve.co.uk> wrote: I did not fully explain things in my post, being a bit stressed out. The
partition manager I used had full ext2/3 support so it wasn't this. In
order to fully utilise my disk space for the new Fedora 7 partitions, I
had to move 2 partitions, each with an operating system, it was either
this or buying a new hard disk. I did not have enough disk space to copy
and paste partitions (which is recommended). The Xandros partition that
was moved is fully functional, only the Fedora 6 partition has inode
errors. All other partitions and operating systems in the 2 sata disks
are O.K. (Windows XP, Ubuntu, SuSE 10.2, Xandros, Mandriva 2007 &
PCLinuxOS). Initial investigation indicated errors that might be
associated with the large VM file in Fedora 6, but after a crash course
in ext2/3 file systems over the past 2 days, maybe not. Disk hardware
has been tested and found to be O.K. Googling over the past 2 days has
revealed that other people has had similar problems (even system
administrators). There are number of proposed solutions,  which I am now
studying, and over the next few days I will be trying out. The fsck
programme that I was using to correct errors had a bug in it, therefore
I am using the most up to date version and it has corrected a large
number of errors. The Knoppix live CD seems to be the best for
diagnostic tools. My wife can still do her work as 90% of her documents
are backed up to another partition, it was one directory that I had
missed. This data can be recovered, but I am looking to do a full
restore of the partition and operating system. I will let you know how I
get on later in the week and hopefully I  will  have a fuller
understanding of what had happened and the solution to it.

Gordon

Andrew Clayton wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 00:03:06 +0100, gordon dunlop wrote:
>

> You failed to mention what virtualisation method you're using... xen?
> kvm? something else?
>
> Also a detailed list of disks/partitions and whats installed where may
> help.
>
> Does the partition manager you used understand ext[23] filesystems?
> such as parted with certain restrictions...

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk