[dundee] OpenBIOS/LinuxBIOS

Nistur nistur at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 11 21:59:30 BST 2007

To all who heard me asking at the meeting about the OpenBIOS thing, I
can't find out which way around it is but one is basically a new name
for the other, I believe LinuxBIOS is the official name, or the one
that's making more progress or something, anyway, a couple of links for
y'all

http://linuxbios.org/index.php/Supported_Motherboards
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linuxbios
http://linuxbios.org/index.php/Laptop

The last one claims my laptop is made by either a company called Quanta
or Compal. I followed a couple of links and ran dmidecode to find that
supposedly Dell make their own laptops now. I don't know about any others.
Basically, from what I see, LinuxBIOS is upto v3, although v3 is only an
alpha and each version improves and includes more Motherboard.

I have read reports on 3 second boot times to a console so if anyone has
a supported motherboard that they trust themselves not to brick then I'd
like to know if anyone succeeds :)