[dundee] iptables and fair network usage

Nistur nistur at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 21 10:06:54 BST 2007

I'm sorry, yeah, we have a WRT router too that died every hour on the
hour last year. It isn't a 200MHz box, it is about 800MHz, can't
remember exactly. I got confused. Anyway, I think we're temporarily
going to use the linksys router we have today while we install a binary
distro to the compaq. I got stuck reinstalling iptables with a new USE
flag on Gentoo as nowhere had java-config-wrapper-0.12 and we couldn't
afford to update the router entirely.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what to use? Hazels only ever used
Gentoo and I've been on RPM based distros before Arch, so I am almost
tempted to say that debian based isn't going to be best as we're going
to have to know how the systems work well enough. However I believe the
Ubuntu server is not too bad (did I really say Ubuntu is not bad?) The
only problem is that the machine we're using only has a 10GB hard disk,
which is fine at the moment, but a slow machine with a small harddisk,
we really can't afford to bulk it any more than we absolutely need to. I
tried the lrp floppy disk and whereas it booted fine and would have been
great, I had trouble setting up PPPoA using the speedtch module with it.