[dundee] Software Development Work Placement @ Calico Jack LTD

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 00:04:41 BST 2008

On 02/04/2008, Tim Spencer <samurai.mit at gmail.com> wrote:
> am interested in this offer but would like to know if there are any time
> restrictions? As is from when to when. or if this would also exsit as a part
> time thing during uni time aswell?

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply.  I'm sorry to have neglected such points.  For
the benefit of you and others:

The placement will be fulltime over the summer.  And will likely
follow the patterns of work we follow, i.e. 9pm - 5pm with an hour
flex each way, e.g. if you come in at 10pm you'd be expected to stay
till at least 6pm; if you came in at 8pm then you'd be expected to
stay till 4pm.  However, we don't keep tabs on such things, and don't
care too much about when people come and go so long as the work gets
done.

It does go two ways though; so there might be situations where there's
a tight deadline where everyones lives would be easier if the work was
done.  Such cases are rare.  I've worked late on occaision because I
felt personally responsible and commited to what I was doing.  Nobody
made me, but then nobody complained the 'few' times I came in late ;-)

I don't know about dates, but I'd imagine it'd be for as long as you
can manage.  Hopefully from shortly after your last exams until you
start back at Uni.  Again, I'd imagine we could be flexible and
negotiate such things with each candidate.  If you have holidays
booked etc...  then including this information in your application and
your general availability would be a good idea.  Otherwise, we'll talk
about it at interview.

We haven't discussed whether or not there will be any part time
positions following the placement.  Though for the right candidate, at
the end of a successful placement it is certainly a possibility.

Unfortunately such things might also depend on the nature of our work
at that time, and the time commitments we and your course would
require.

I hope this answers your questions.

If you (or anyone else) have any more questions about the position
then don't hesitate to contact me.  Where possible I'd prefer to keep
the discussion on the list, so everyone can benefit from my replies.
If however discression is prefered direct any questions you have to my
work email address:  rick at calicojack.co.uk

Best of luck, should you or anyone else choose to apply!

R.