[dundee] old posts on Erlang vs Stackless python

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 11:15:19 BST 2008

Hey Kris,

Sorry for the delayed reply; just back from my holiday.

2008/4/11 azmodie <azmodie at gmail.com>:
> just surfing about came across some intresting links.
> these links are inspired by an exercise set after chapter 8 of Joe
> Armstrong's Erlang book
>
> comparison with stackless python
> http://muharem.wordpress.com/2007/07/31/erlang-vs-stackless-python-a-first-benchmark/
>  (NOTE: after reading comments, this is not a brilliant comparison. but
> raises some good points)

Yes, I saw this benchmark sometime ago; but it doesn't really say
anything meaningfull.  Indeed the circular message passing benchmark
suggested by Joe is a poor benchmarking choice as the algorithm is
inherently serial.  i.e. there is no scope for parallelism across
cores or machines because a process can only "pass the parcel" when it
has it.