[dundee] Opinions on the Sun Ultra 24 Box - Good bang-per-buck?

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Thu Apr 24 19:27:51 BST 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 17:58:46 +0100, Rick Moynihan wrote:

> I'm no hardware engineer, but I suspect most other manufacturers of
> occaisionally mixing the VW Mini parts with those from Ferrari.  Sun
> tend to build big, ugly, clunky machines which are reliable, and built
> to last.

Yeah I'm familiar with their SPARC stuff but not their x86 stuff.

> >  > Concerns.
> >  >
> >  > 1) Is the graphics card any good?  I don't care for games, but I
> >  > hate seeing screen updates!  And how does it compare to the
> >  > Nvidia Quadro FX 370???
> >
> >  Personally, until Nvidia get their head out of their arse, I'd
> > avoid Nvidia gfx.
>
> Are you referring to their proprietary binary drivers and attitude to
> Linux here, or something else?

Their lack of released docs (yes, I've of the reasons why) and that
you have to use their binary drivers. Loading MB's of binary gunk into
your kernel is never going to be good and then of course there's the
actualy legality of it, which is perhaps a bit of murky grey area.

Hopefully the Nouvou project will eventually have something fully
working.

In the meantime best to support Intel and AMD.

Andrew