[dundee] Opinions on the Sun Ultra 24 Box - Good bang-per-buck?

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 24 22:54:40 BST 2008

yeah, but will the software (os/app's) take advantage of all that threading
capability?

I'd personally go for something like this.

single core....but over clock the hell out of it...

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/article.asp?CIID=26054

single core, over clocked to the max....

everything gets faster..not only multi threaded apps.

tee hee

Paul Lancaster <paul_lancaster at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> 1) Is the graphics card any good?  I don't care for games, but I hate
> seeing screen updates!  And how does it compare to the Nvidia Quadro
> FX 370???
> 2) Is 2gig adequate for typical use + some background virtualisation
> (of pretty minimal machines) + Netbeans & java development?  I suspect
> it'd easily handle it, but that 4gig would be better...

4 gig would be better, especially if you start databases in the background.
> 3) Is quad extreme noticably better than the intel core 2 quad?

Extreme  are normally unlocked, and overclocked - and expensive.

Ever thought of   dual socket server (2 x quad xeon or phenoms), 2
standard cpu's are arround the same price as an extreme cpu, and you get
8 cores :)

Paul

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk