[dundee] woes from linux [learning curve] mountain

Digit (SG) digit.siljrath at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 29 13:54:48 BST 2008

replies in green  __  __

2008/4/28 Robert McWilliam <rmcw at allmail.net>:

> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:21:38PM +0100, Digit (SG) wrote:
> > i want to install a tiling window manager.
>
> Good. They are fun.

__ :D i was already sold on the idea before i considered they could be fun
(im having fun already n i've yet to use one!)  and then i read this
article: http://pa-2.blogspot.com/2007/10/changing-perspectives.html which
made me realise, my perspective was already moving into alignment with
this.  i went from sabayon full (an 11gig install) to SliTaz (a 25 mb
installable live cd) which lead me to dream of my own stripped-to-my-needs
"distro".  __

> > it says to me:
> >
> > "bash: ./configure: No such file or directory"
> >
> > i went back and re-read the readme,
> > ... nothing jumps out as to the solution,
> >
> > and i'm left with the very strong impression that there's some secret
> geek
> > lingo meaning that i'm not yet privy to.
> >
> > does the "dot slash" ( ./ ) refer to something else needed there?
>
> The dot slash is a way of telling the shell to look in the current
> directory for the executable rather than the directories listed in the
> PATH environment variable. What you are trying to do with ./configure
> is run the configure script that came with the source you want to
> install. From the response you were getting I suspect you weren't in
> the right directory when you issued the command. The ./configure
> should be issued from the root of the source tree, you should see a
> file there called configure. Alternatively you can replace the ./ with
> a path to the configure script that doesn't depend on the current
> working directory (e.g. ~/dwm_directory/configure)

__ thnx.  that confirms my vague suspicions of what's going on just out of
reach of what i will confidently attempt. __

> > or have i been putting things in the "wrong" directory?
> > (makes me wanna try gobo linux with it's unique and inspired
> restructuing
> > for the filing system hierarchy structure)
>
> Doesn't matter where you put things for building them, the 'make
> install' step of the build process puts them into the folders they
> need to be in (but you can usually make changes to what those are at
> the ./configure stage).
> __ ta' again.  (ditto my last responce) __
> > "Arch *Linux Forums* / Xmonad: A brilliant window
> > manager<http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=35865>In
> > many *wm*, it isn't the default behavior, but you can *configure* it.
> > *...*After
> > *installing* the packages from *source* it just worked. *...*"
>
> xmonad is the WM I'm currently using so I'd certainly recommend it. It
> is going to be a bit more of a problem to install than some of the
> others though as it is written in Haskell, and the haskell development
> tools needed to build it are not normally installed so you'll likely
> have to set them up first. Was it trying to install them that you have
> to run ./configure for the xmonad install, because that isn't actually
> part of the install process for xmonad itself?
> __ yup, i'm starting to suspect i've just tried the standard protocol on
> three applications which use something other than ./configure.  my
> familiarity of  what it tells me in the readmes is increasing.  who knows,
> next time i install something i might even understand it and do as it says!
> lol.

I've got Haskell (and lua and some other necessary files for other window
> managers) added to my file of window managers for transfering over, along
> with another dozen or so more window managers!  i had no idea there were
> soooooo many.

 anyways, off i go with a renewed enthusiasm for the project.  __
> > n i know it's gonna make me look foolish for not knowing what's going to
> be
> > ridiculously simple to someone else.
>
> Not knowing how something works doesn't make you look foolish. You're
> miles ahead of those who don't even want to know.  __ ah, thnx.   that
> reminds me of the situation.  not knowing and not doing anything about not
> knowing (ignorance), is the foolish path.   i'm walking up the mountain. __
>
>      Robert
> _Thanks again.  no doubt i'll be back with an update.   - Digit._

The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice. The language is
not Narn, or Human, or Centauri, or Gaim or Minbari. It speaks in the
language of hope; It speaks in the language of trust; It speaks in the
language of strength, and the language of compassion. It is the language of
the heart and the language of the soul. But always, it is the same voice. It
is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, And the voice of our
inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: We
are one. No matter the blood; skin; world; star; We are one. No matter the
pain; darkness; loss; fear; We are one. Here, gathered together in common
cause. we agree to recognise this singular truth, and this singular rule:
That we must be kind to one another, because each voice enriches us and
ennobles us, and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the
Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better
future. We are one.