[dundee] Locking Windows to Virtual Desktops in Gnome

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 19:05:59 BST 2008

does this help you at all?

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/07/25/how-to-set-default-workspace-size-and-window-effects-in-gnome/

;-)

you forgot the desktop for running doom, and setting up the BOSS key.

ho hum.

let me know how you get on.

you may be able to edit the gnome resource file, to make firefox play nice.

Rick Moynihan <rick.moynihan at gmail.com> wrote: Hi all,

As some of you may know I recently switched from running Gentoo to
Ubuntu.  During the change I figured I'd also try migrating from
Fluxbox (which I've used for many, many years) to Gnome.

Overall I have to say I quite like Gnome, but I'm not yet convinced
it's better for my needs than Fluxbox.

My biggest problem with it is that I'm a *HUGE* fan of virtual
desktops, and I like to configure my system so each desktop has a
primary role... With one for each of the following

* Web browsing
* Comms (Email/IM etc...)
* xterms
* Emacs,
* Development (with Netbeans),

And then a few more for testing, and other miscellaneous things...

My problem when recreating this in Gnome is that applications have a
tendency to move to the current desktop.  e.g. When I click a URL in
my email client (Thunderbird, or Prism/Gmail) then my Firefox session
moves itself from the Web browsing desktop to my Email desktop!

I can see why this behavior is useful for those new to such
environments, but for me it's just plain annoying.  Does anyone know
how to get Gnome/metacity to do this?  Or do I need to switch window
managers to something more functional like Sawfish/Enlightenment?

I'm still keen to stick with the Gnome desktop environment if I can,
but if I can't resolve this then I think I'm going to have to switch
back to Fluxbox or maybe wmii.

R.

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk