[dundee] Microsoft Bullying & Hypocrac

David Thornton Snr davidthorntonsnr at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Feb 10 01:55:16 GMT 2008

Back in the days of Windows 3.1 (early 1990's) Microsoft released WFW (windows for workgroups 3.11) it only ran in 386 Enhanced mode, and required at least an 80386SX processor, WOW!
MS continued to develop Windows NT by getting Dave Cutler from DEC. MS finished a long battle with them which resulted in them (MS) paying DEC over $100 million. This was because they acquired code from them.........OK they stole code from them.
Going forward a little while I became involved with MS through a very good friend and found myself working with him freelance on  MS 2000 and NT, "beta testing", during this period I became MSDN certified it should have cost me around £1500 but through knowing people I got it for next to nothing. I also took the Novell Netware course which lost its way by not adopting TCP/IP as its native protocol which I believe resulted in NetWare losing its' dominance.
Meanwhile MS was becoming stronger  and around 1995ish? NT came out in I think it was 4 flavours one being Windows NT 4.0 Server, Enterprise Edition which I worked on as a Beta tester along with MS 2000 known during testing as NT5, I worked on both Windows 2000 Professional and Windows 2000 Server.
Why am I telling you this well, MS in there wisdom took no notice of all the major bugs as they could not fix them in time as they did not want to delay the release date. It was much later after XP was released that they finally fixed some of the major bugs with SP3 and SP4  if my memory severs me well. But NT4 remained buggy and that I didn't think they would ever fix it. That was our conclusion back in 2002
And why do I tell you this, MS DID not believe in holding back releases just because they were buggy. I got fed up with doing Beta testing and still finding the bugs in the release packages that we had found and reported. OK we got paid by the number of bugs we found but, only if we were the first ones to report it! AND it still goes on today!!
Linux is by far, way ahead in the universe of any MS OS you care to mention in making sure that most of the bugs are sorted before release with the communities helping this will push Linux ahead of MS in the future as more manufactures like Dell &  Lenovo start using Linux, even, HP with is vast Linux driver library.
To finish I use the ending of Lee's email

Quote "The world is slowly catching on, they've already lost, and the recent attempted
buy out of yahoo,  is part of it's last death throws to dominate the internet scene... "

Dave