[dundee] NoHelpDesk

Jason Cormie Jason-lug at wormwood666.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 14 20:05:42 GMT 2008

Arron M Finnon wrote:
> This is just my rant, i just contacted our helpdesk at the uni with a
> problem i'm having with WebCT (Online Course).  They run this check
> before they let you in.  Everything apart from my browser passes.  It
> just says browser firefox version unknown.  So i contact them saying i
> run linux and don't use IE.
>
> There response was somewhat bloody annoying, and really my criticisms is
> a) not reading what i put b) lack of ownership.

> His basic answer was we don't support linux.  It's normally a Java
> problem.  Please check that.
>
> Now as i've previously stated to him that the checkbox had given me a
> green tick for everything!  Apart from browser version.  So to me he's
> taken one look at the word linux and said not my problem.  Pffftttt.....
> He's lucky i didn't go into the whole do you know how unethical this
> practise is..... rant.  But i'll wait until his next email.
>
> Pissed off finux signing off

Two issues here

*Webct*

   * Works fine with Linux (if you ignore the warnings)
   * Actually runs on Redhat ES 4
   * Its Blackboard that doesn't support Linux, not "directly" Abertay

     Useragent discussion
http://discussions.webct.com/jive4/thread.jspa?threadID=23697&tstart=0&messageID=95659

     You can suggest they change there ways here.
       http://www.blackboard.com/products/suggest.bb

*Helldesk*

   * As I've stated in the past their is no official policy on support or lack
     off of "other" OS's as clients at Abertay.  In the past it was assumed
     their was no support, but with the rise of Apple, this is no longer the
     case and the area has become grayer
   * Helldesk staff (and the desktop support team behind them) have had no
     linux training (and very little apple), so when someone approaches with
     issues on linux, they literally cannot help.
   * Helldesk are understaffed by 2 positions at the moment and have to get
     through a helluva lot of calls. If they had more time they could possibly
     investigate and come up with something more constructive, but thats not
     the case.

In summary:
   * Blackboard don't officially support Linux, but it works, if your ignore
     the warnings
   * UAD Helpdesk may well be dismissive if you say linux, but its not their
     individual fault.  If you want linux support, then speak to your lecturers
     and student reps who are in regular contact with the support teams, change
     has to come from top down.

--
Jason Cormie