[dundee] NoHelpDesk

Kris Davidson davidson.kris at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 22:19:54 GMT 2008

After reading the heated content of my last post and the replies I'd
like to take a more abstract view.

I think the high level point I was trying to make was that a four year
degree should at least be able to compete with a two year DipHE / HND
+ two years experience or four years experience. For the money and
time involved it should at least be as good as doing four years of
certifications but I'm not seeing it.

I don't know how some of the modules got there SCQF level based on the
content. I don't think its unreasonable to expect University students
with an interest in a subject to do all the grunt work for a module or
subject at home. To try and draw a parallel, we expect people to be
literate in Maths and English, why not IT.

At the last course meeting I attended there was a discussion about
attendance, now it occurs to me maybe people don't want to waste time
it labs and lectures that move at a snails pace and cover content
anyone with an interest in the subject has already covered.

I don't think its silly; I'm sure as hell not the best and if I can do
it others can. To use some BS business terms. Abertay trades on a
technology reputation so the technology degrees should have some added
value but they don't seem to.

Like Gordon said, we (I in particular) can discuss this and go round in circles.

Kris