[dundee] NoHelpDesk (Doug)

Doug Aitken doug.a7 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 22:41:01 GMT 2008

 Thanks Jen, I'll try to head along for a bit of that.

I agree with Mark, I only started H Computing but I know a fair few who did
it and they said it never went past COMAL.

Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:52:25 +0000
> From: "Mark Hill" <diamondmx at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [dundee] NoHelpDesk
> To: Davidson.Kris at gmail.com,    "Tayside Linux User Group"
>        <dundee at mailman.lug.org.uk>
>
> You seem to be implying that all Higher Computing students would know a
> fair
> bit about programming concepts, networking, and a bunch of other things.
> I've got to say that's just wrong. My Higher Computing class focussed on
> COMAL, the networking was entirely conceptual (no interaction with actual
> networks) and everything was running on systems about 10 years out of
> date.
> Not all schools have access to the resources to teach Computing courses
> worth a damn, and assuming certain things of them would raise the bar
> above
> a bunch of people, who - despite best efforts to the contrary - can find
> that the schooling system is incapable of teaching what's relevant.
> As for 'Anyone with a mild interest in networking' knowing about Perl, AD,
> and Linux ... that's just silly.

How about we poster the Uni with an "alternative" help desk? and if asked
what we are doing, we could say we were alleviating the work load on the Uni
help desk.