[dundee] OLPC BBC report

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 18 12:12:12 GMT 2008

Hmm, some interesting points you have there, was this directly after
watching the link? you did watch the link you?

Corporate America have nothing to do with dropping trade barriers,
I thought that was governments? how do you make that conclusion?

You'll also find the Corporate America exploits the worlds poor, and
use cheap labour to make these nice products the you buy. So to
elevate these people from poverty , does not make the stock holders happy,
does it.

As for internet connectivity, there are alternative to getting high speed
broadband to these area's, there are plenty of smart hacks and disruptive
technologies. You'll find that these technologies will follow, I'm involved with
a group that are making sustainable wind turbines to power olpc installations,
it's not thier only use, but it's definitely gets people imaginations going.

Okay, some communities  are in dire need of the basics, but as I do more
research I find communities that are  stable , have the basics, but have trouble
educating thier young. This is where OLPC comes in.

Would it be the microsoft/intel don't like to loose, in fact history like to see
that they will win at any cost, even if it's stealing others idea's (pirate of
silicon valley).

you seems to be skillful programmer, ahem, software architect....

 I can't see that you are not interested in developing applications, you use python, which is the language of choice on the platform. Maybe give it a test drive,
then cast yours views, you'll find it a solid operating platform. Would you
be saying this if the platform of choice was .net with office 2007? Does you API
choices cloud your development path?

Anyways, Rearranging decks chairs on the titanic, I like that, ;-), it
sounds rather like silver light. ho hum.

Laptops in the developing world, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, DEVELOPERS, say it all really.

My Microsoft Dollars worth (must upgrade, must upgrade)

Laters,
Lee

Gary Short <gary at garyshort.org> wrote: -------- Original Message --------

Could it be because it is backed by a billion dollar corporation and not by some charity that could disappear overnight if the donations dry up?

> right, lets get coding some apps for the OLPC platform, maybe that's where
> the difference will lie

Good idea, let's go! Oh wait... the OLPC is hand cranked 'cos the owner may not have electricity in their hut; its peer to peer network capable as there wont be any internet/network connectivity. I'm not sure what software I could write that could move their lives forward, do you? Does anyone? You see, this is what I have against the OLPC idea; I believe there are more important things the money could be spent on that really would make a difference to these people's lives. Corporate America do you want to help the African poor? Good! How about you drop the trade barriers then and make a real difference. OLPC is just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Just my tuppence worth :-)

--
Cheers,
Gary