[dundee] Taylug Weekly Articles 6 - LAMP

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 19 13:47:32 GMT 2008

Hi All,
This week will have rather more articles than normal as it has been a
big, big week for Linux & the LAMP stack due to the Sun/MySQL news.

L – Linux Operating System
Will the legendary Daniel Robbins ride to the rescue of Gentoo?
http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/archives/080115-153848.html

SuSE Linux is currying favour in India.
http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=46692

Hey Mark windoze users keep complaining how there are too many
editions of Vista, are you trying to outdo them?
http://www.deviceguru.com/2008/01/17/an-open-letter-to-mark-shuttleworth/

Where does Red Hat go from here? Hopefully forward with guns ablazing.
http://www.itpro.co.uk/features/155277/red-hat-at-the-crossroads.html

Mandriva and TurboLinux (Japan) are trying to resurrect the
UnitedLinux (RPM based) project that was last tried in 2003 with SCO,
you know what happened to them. Maybe this time Microsoft will be
taken aboard as they claim that we have got some of their code. Will
history repeat itself? (Chuckle! Chuckle!).
http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/01/16/mandriva-and-turbolinux-have-another-go-at-a-united-linux/

Talking about Microsoft, it seems in Sydney they are attending a LUG meeting.
http://penguincentral.unixpod.com/node/7

So Bill & Steve, I on behalf of Taylug cordially invite you to one of
our meetings. You will find us a great bunch at Abertay. One thing
Steve, our chairs are fixed so you can't throw any around but there is
enough stage space to do one of your dances. Bill, our bar has just
got ordinary tables and pool tables, no fancy touchscreen ones that
you can move your photos around. Apart from that you are most welcome
to attend.

A – Apache web server.
Apache is used on 74% of the World's web server domains.
http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2039

M - MySQL
Here are 3 articles about the biggest story of the week - Sun's
acquisition of MySQL.
http://mysql.com/news-and-events/sun-to-acquire-mysql.html
http://www.cnet.com/8301-13556_1-9851659-61.html
http://redmonk.com/sogrady/2008/01/16/sun_mysql/

A video interview with Sun & MySQL head honchos.
http://www.linux.com/feature/124909

P – Python, Perl & PHP.
First new release of Perl in 5 years

Regular expressions in PHP.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-php-regex1/?ca=dgr-lnxw02PHP-RegExps

Finally a couple of videos from top programmer Alan Cox.
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/12/18/video-alan-cox-and-the-state-of-free-software/
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/01/14/666/

Sorry about the number of articles but everything of interest seems to
be happening this week.