[dundee] Aggresive Swapping......why?

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 26 00:10:47 GMT 2008

I've been trying to track down this problem, I though I'd ask here to see if any else notices it.

I've got a lot ram in my system, however if I say stop using my browser for a min, and got do some other work, I find linux pages the browser to disk. This is annoying as I have to wait for it to be paged back into main memory. I've checked that I'm not using more ram that I have, but linux will aggressively page out applications even if the system have lots of spare memory , I assume this is reallocated to the disk cache.

This seems to highlight the problem..

http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/04/04/30/1238250.shtml?tid=106&tid=185

currently my /proc/sys/vm/swappiness is set to 60.

This is a strange default for a desktop operating system, in a system
that's has ample ram.

I'm going to try

 "echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness"

and see if I get better results..

Anyone else have this kind of problem  , I'd like to hear from you.