[dundee] A lot has changed in HTML5

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Sun Jan 27 00:13:55 GMT 2008

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 23:59:25 +0000 (GMT), David Thornton Snr wrote:

> This specification defines the 5th major revision of the core language
>    of the World Wide Web, HTML. In this version, new features are
> introduced to help Web application authors, new elements are
> introduced based on research into prevailing authoring practices, and
> special attention has been given to defining clear conformance
> criteria for user agents in an effort to improve
> interoperability.........
>
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/

From 3.14.7.1. Video and audio codecs for video elements

"It would be helpful for interoperability if all browsers could support
the same codecs. However, there are no known codecs that satisfy all the current players: we need a codec that is known to not require per-unit or per-distributor licensing, that is compatible with the open source development model, that is of sufficient quality as to be usable, and that is not an additional submarine patent risk for large companies. This is an ongoing issue and this section will be updated once more information is available."

Remind we why Ogg Theora got dropped again?

Andrew