[dundee] Nokia acquires Trolltech

Rick rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 14:53:27 GMT 2008

Seems like a smart acquisition to me!  Especially given Nokia's openc
initiatives which allow porting linux apps to symbian.  I'd imagine QT
could strengthen their hold over the embedded device market and allow
them to offer a great platform for cross-platform  (symbian/linux) GUI
development... Switching in Symbian/Linux depending on the device's
constraints.

Remember Nokia don't want to sell phones anymore, they want to sell
services and integrated Internet devices.

Trolltech also have some great employees (I had the pleasure of
speaking to at 3GSM a few years ago), and a lot of knowledge and
experience in FLOSS, cross-platform development and also mobile (their
green phone).

Sun however, should have probably acquired them some years ago to
clear up the licensing mess around QT/KDE rather than spending money
on developing GNOME which has confused the Unix desktop space a little
more than it need have.

Also $153m is a small price to pay.  I'd imagine both sides are happy
with the acquisition.

R.