[dundee] Hardy Heron unstable with NVIDIA proprietary drivers

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Mon Jun 9 10:17:00 BST 2008

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 17:57:16 +0100, Simon Wells wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Should have mentioned that there weren't any problems withNVIDIA
> proprietary and Gutsy on the same machine which made me wonder
> whether it might be a Hardy specific problem. Not really eager to get
> to the bottom of this was just curious whether anybody else had
> experienced similar. It is the first time I have experienced hard
> lockups of this type with a Linux box, I thought Linux was not
> supposed to do that.

Your right, it's not, but when you load MB's of binary gunk into your
kernel... all bets are off. I have used the nvidia binary drivers long
ago in the past and got constant lockups.

Today my graphics card of choice is a Radeon 9200/9250, solid open
source driver support. If I was looking at a new machine, I'd seriously
consider on board Intel graphics as that's where all the cool stuff is
happening with kernel mode setting etc.

> Simon

Andrew