[dundee] Hardy Heron unstable with NVIDIA proprietary drivers

James Le Cuirot chewi at aura-online.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 16:08:39 BST 2008

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:52:29 +0100
Barry Carr <barry at benericht.co.uk> wrote:

> Hmm, this quite alarming. I've just ordered a new machine that will
> be running Hardy and I insisted on an nVidia GC. Mainly, because I
> believed nvidia drivers to be better than ATI drivers (on windows
> anyway). Is this not the case on Linux? Am I better off with an ATI
> card?

You probably will be soon unless OpenTheBlob.com has any success. I
bought an ATI card for my new machine back in February for precisely
this reason, though I have had to wait a bit longer than I expected.
The R500 support has had priority over the R600 support so far but AMD
has just released the R600 3D specs. Yay! I hopefully won't have to
wait too much longer.

James