[dundee] Hardy Heron unstable with NVIDIA proprietary drivers

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 10 23:29:34 BST 2008

I have only used NVidia graphic cards with all my computers that I
have built using Linux as ATI used to suck concerning proprietary
Linux drivers, yeh you did get a NVidia driver version that was a bit
buggy so I rolled back to a previous version until a better, newer
version came out. So buggyness on drivers will vary with version (like
any software) and it will also vary with distribution (coding paths
and distro kernel modules). A few years ago bugginess could be a bit
common in these drivers but there has been a great improvement in
performance since then. Hardy Heron does have unresolved bugs as it is
a distro just released, like any new distro it takes a few months for
them to get resolved (sometimes some bugs don't get resolved!). Yes it
would be great if both ATI & NVidia cards had 3D open source drivers
for all cards, maybe in the next couple of years we will see this.
Keeping my eyes on the Nouveau project:

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/

Gordon