[dundee] Get The Brand New Firefox 3.0 Now!

Digit (SG) digit.siljrath at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 20 22:48:52 BST 2008

i've seen the documentaries, i'm sure stallman n chums would have figured
out that a monolithic kernel was more practical if only in terms of ease of
debugging and thus speed of developement.  without GNU, what would linux
have?  without linux what would gnu have?   i say linux has more to thank
for gnu than gnu has to thank for linux.... infact... the only reason we
talk about linux in this overarching all encmpassing generalisation meaning
pretty much anything from the kernel itself or all open source software and
methodology rather than GNU in the same way is a more a matter of
marketability and catchyness than the actuality of the situation and merit.
... or thats my interpretation of it anyways.

the gnu opperating system originally ran on unix's kernel right?   gnu didnt
*need* linux in the driest most uninspired practical sense, but those guys
had the vision, the ideals, the philosophy... we've all heard the sharing
recipes analogy right?   and so, because linus recognised the practical
benefits of the GPL and all the GNU-esq philosophy inspired liscencing
freedom, it went that way, and once that happened, GNU had it's kernel.

i know that's probably labouring the point a little heavily, considering it
might only be shoved aside as a footnote in history, but my interpretation
of all i've seen on the matter....  it wasnt the other way around.  ;)

but then... it's all rather hypothetical and mute until we go quantum
leaping around the 6th dimension to check what would have happened had each
of the other were not there.

in this timeline, in this spacetime continuum... they were both there, and
we are all very thankful for it.  :)

can you imagine if neither had come about?    we'd all be stuck with mac v
win again.    aaaaaargh!

bless you richard stallman and all other early community contributors for
your vision.   bless you linus torvalds for you well tempered logic and
wisdom.

...  bless you andrew clayton for setting me up for a rant.  lol.

thinking about it again, considering what i've just written, to put it
concisely....

it's both ways around, isnt it?

:)

;D

2008/6/20 Andrew Clayton <andrew at digital-domain.net>:

> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:19:03 +0100, Digit (SG) wrote:
>
> > surely you mean IceCat.... right?   ;) ;)
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_IceCat
> > yep.  one of the many i missed out from my honorable mentions.  not
> > that i've used it since it's name change.
> >
> > GNU is the way.  hehe.  without GNU, no-one would have ever heard of
> > linux. all respect for GNU-ey projects.
>
> Or is it the other way around...? ;)

The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice. The language is
not Narn, or Human, or Centauri, or Gaim or Minbari. It speaks in the
language of hope; It speaks in the language of trust; It speaks in the
language of strength, and the language of compassion. It is the language of
the heart and the language of the soul. But always, it is the same voice. It
is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us, And the voice of our
inheritors, waiting to be born. It is the small, still voice that says: We
are one. No matter the blood; skin; world; star; We are one. No matter the
pain; darkness; loss; fear; We are one. Here, gathered together in common
cause. we agree to recognise this singular truth, and this singular rule:
That we must be kind to one another, because each voice enriches us and
ennobles us, and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the
Universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better
future. We are one.