[dundee] having a conversation with your OS

Paul Lancaster paul_lancaster at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Mar 1 20:57:00 GMT 2008

My sons dyslexic, so we tried most voice recognition software over the
years, but having to train the software by reading passages from the
screen, just didnt work.
It had to be able to recognise the user's voice and vocal patterns,
hence the user had to read the passages - not a lot of use for a dyslexic.
For voice control of the OS though I found IBM's viavoice better than
Dragon naturally speaking (sorry both were windows based software).
Glaswegians had great problems with training the software, my friend and
his wife, both managed to fill the whole screen with red - unrecognised
- words.
Gave up on the idea, and decided to buy a better keyboard, and try and
learn to type with more than one finger. Almost ther can now use one
finger from each hand :)

Paul

PS only 200 unread posts to go