[dundee] jabber

Lee Hughes toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 3 10:12:55 GMT 2008

Where skype has cornered the market is thier ablity to skype out to
the normal pots telephone systems (ss7).

I remember seeing an interview years ago with the skype masters,
they we're putting equipment in at every telco exchange they could
find, and then undercutting the telco on international calls.

Good Idea, but highly proprietary , no source code, and  with the
ablity to become a super node (routing thousands of calls), then
running on high bandwidth networks is a no no.

A Jabber voice to asterix gateway migh be a winner, than I can
skype out!

Like all this technology, it pushed data transfer to the edge of the network
(your computer) , rather than keeping it the core, that's not an efficient
means of data distribution, but a damm sight cheap than renting rack space
at a peering point.

I see tiscali have just advertised 8megs internet connections....
beware....and do some research before buying.

Arron M Finnon <afinnon at googlemail.com> wrote: But i do think Jabber supports Voice, and the likes.  So i suppose the
question is what do you need skype to do on jabber, and then look at if
skype is the best solution.

You may find that by looking at the problem or rather the overall
outcomes of what your wanting to achieve, first.  Then looking at
software that can do the job, you may stumble across a better solution
in the end.

I've been inspired somewhat by Big Andrews Jabber talk on thursday, an
i've spent the weekend moving everything over.  Have MSN, Gtalk,
Twitter, Freenode.Net IRC all working through the same account.

So i'm interested in the outcomes of if you can Skype, well not skype,
but rather SIP, VoiP over jabber/xmpp

What a cool technology

Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk