[dundee] Taylug Weekly Articles 14 - ASL

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 15 01:17:01 GMT 2008

Hi All,
The theme this week is obvious as the Abertay Linux Society is 1 year
old today. Whether you call it the Abertay Linux Society (ALS) or the
Abertay Society for Linux (ASL) is irrelevant. The Abertay Linux
Society has come on leaps and bounds throughout this first year of
birth even though it did not start properly until September 2007 at
the freshers's fair. So in fact what, has been achieved is amazing,
this has been down to the enthusiasm of Arron Finnon, the President of
the Abertay Linux Society, trying to motivate people towards Linux and
open source software. Whatever our attitude towards these topics, the
true meaning is freedom, freedom in that to choose the system that we
want to use. An analogy, I do not watch television much apart from the
news, comedy & football. If we were restricted to only watching one
channel how much are our lives are dependent upon one viewpoint. Today
you can have for example 50 channels on freeview, choose which channel
that you want. Likewise even within Linux distributions you can use
which one you want, horses for courses, you cannot say which one is
better. So to finish off I like the promotion of open mindedness, that
is probably why I run 7 different Linux distros and it still amazes me
that they all have certain unique characteristics. We want the Linux
community to flourish in that people will want to help out, instead of
the ramblings of an old fart like me that spends a few hours in
compiling these TayLUG articles, we want the younger generation to
show the world how freedom in computing can occur to the benefit of
society.

A – All open source things:
Is Jonathan Schwartz becoming the open source saviour?
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Why-Suns-CEO-Is-Fast-Becoming-a-Leading-Spokesperson-for-the-Open-Source-Community/

The US navy is going open source, Yes!!! I love that as a former naval
officer, keep Microsoft shite away from defense, security & government
systems.
http://www.fcw.com/online/news/151858-1.html

Open standards in Europe as default?
http://www.openforumeurope.org/press-room/latest-news/new-petition-calls-for-open-standards-in-the-european-parliament

This thing about Microsoft OOXML standards in Geneva again.
http://www.itpro.co.uk/information-management/features/176172/ooxml-standards-for-accepting-standards/page1.html

Mail merge in Open Office, my mum will think this is great (for her
C. of S. elder duties), wean her off works.
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6468/1/

Creative commons live content.
http://www.fanaticattack.com/2008/creative-commons-releases-free-contentsoftware-with-livecontent-dvd.html

Perl & SMTP.
http://linoleum.leapster.org/archives/48-Using-Perls-NetSMTP-module.html

Multi-path storage with Xen.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-multipath-xen/?ca=dgr-lnxw02aRedHatLinuxXenp&S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=GR

S – Security:
This Linux kernel exploit that affected the LUG server and the
majority of all the Linux servers around the world.
http://lwn.net/Articles/271688/

Viruses at the factory default level?
http://www.technologyreview.com/Wire/20418/?a=f

L – Linux:
Ivan doing his thing in Peru.
http://radian.org/notebook/astounded-in-arahuay

The devil will always interfere.
http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17112/1090/

This UMPC thing is catching on.
http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/03/08/how-many-linux-umpcs-can-you-name-test-yourself/

Novell desktop? Yes SLED10 was a breaker, I have still not received my T-shirt!
http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/03/12/update-novells-suse-linux-desktop-strategy/

Using Linux thin clients.
http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/thinclientnetwork.shtml

Does the future belong to Linux?
http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9892174-16.html

Linux market to triple.
http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb031108-story07.html

Interesting Linux things.
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-product-insider-march-6-2008

I like this, faster and better than a GUI.
http://www.linux.com/feature/128390

Obscure stuff!
http://bashcurescancer.com/10-linux-commands-youve-never-used.html

For the Unix dudes.
http://lug.wsu.edu/node/414

Linux boots within one second!

Can you win the Linux quiz?
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/survey/9

That's it for this week, thank you to Azmodie for finding my umbrella,
there is no truth in the rumour that I lose things. Do not believe the
story that my wife found my spectacles in the fridge or people like to
call me the absent minded professor, just ignore it all.

Gordon
TayLUG Administrator