[dundee] Open source and the Adoption-Led Market

Gary Short gary at garyshort.org
Sat Mar 15 13:22:31 GMT 2008

Rick Moynihan wrote:
> Just came across this fantastic post describing (some) open source
> business models:
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/the_adoption_led_market
>
> It's nothing really new, but I think the phrase alone is a great
> contribution to the movement; it's pure MBA speak*!  Coincidentally,
> it's the same point I was trying to clumsily make yesterday...

Hi Rick,

It's a fair point, but it seems to me that the author cheated slightly.
In the paragraph where he describes the traditional means of software
aquisition, the customers are technically "dumb", they have a business
problem and they put the aquisition of a solution to that problem out to
tender.

In the paragraph where he speaks about adoption led aquisition of
software, the customers suddenly become technically capable of solving
the problem themselves and are now only looking to "outsource" the
ancillary aspects of the solution. This seems to be comparing apples and
oranges to me.

--
Cheers,
Gary Short