[dundee] Active Directory and Linux

Kris Davidson davidson.kris at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 16:12:38 GMT 2008

I find myself in the odd position of defending Microsoft, this
solution seems to make it easier but there already are ways to get
Linux to authenticated.

It use to be Exchange but now the major problem in my opinion is the
lack of something like Group Policy that allows among others things,
granular control of the desktop and script roll out / software
install. Now if Linux gets something like this it can be as difficult
and technical as possible however the other stumbling block is Active
Directory like OUs, delegation and the MMC, we need something that
would allow organisation, based on more than groups and that would
allow the authority to say reset passwords to be delegated to junior
admins and help desk personnel. There also needs to be a shiny remote
GUI to make this easy to use.

I think if we get these Linux would look a lot more attractive to businesses.

Kris