[dundee] Active Directory and Linux

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Mon Mar 17 21:55:36 GMT 2008

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:12:36 +0000, Kris Davidson wrote:

> I find myself in the odd position of defending Microsoft, this
> solution seems to make it easier but there already are ways to get
> Linux to authenticated.
>
> It use to be Exchange but now the major problem in my opinion is the
> lack of something like Group Policy that allows among others things,
> granular control of the desktop and script roll out / software
> install. Now if Linux gets something like this it can be as difficult
> and technical as possible however the other stumbling block is Active
> Directory like OUs, delegation and the MMC, we need something that
> would allow organisation, based on more than groups and that would
> allow the authority to say reset passwords to be delegated to junior
> admins and help desk personnel. There also needs to be a shiny remote
> GUI to make this easy to use.

This all clearly a different language to what I speak.

But why do the UNIX/Linuc machines need to be so tightly integrated
with the Windows stuff?.

Ease of administration? Maybe. But I reckon your in a loosing battle if
your trying to mange them as one entity.

Have Windows guys manage the windows stuff and Unix guys manage the
Unix stuff. These are two completely different worlds and trying to
merge them will only result in pain and probably a big mess.

IME you don't want windows folks touching your Unix stuff and vice
versa.

Andrew