[dundee] A year in the making, a year of growth

Arron M Finnon afinnon at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 18 19:03:34 GMT 2008

A year in the making, a year of growth

Well it came in fast and it went past just as quick. As some of you know
that was the first anniversary of the Linux Society on the 15th of this
month. I would have written about it sooner but I have been hit by a
massive cold, which I haven't recovered fully from but I am well enough
to say a few things (we all know over the past year a few things for me,
takes about a page or so).

I look back on the past year with both joy and pain, in a personal
capacity this year has seen massive changes for me, which most of you
that know me personally will know what I refer to, and I imagine the
rest have a pretty good idea.

I think this year has been a year of growth, and for me a take great
pride in watching the things I hold dear and true to grow and start to
flourish. I've watched my daughter Maia grow, and develop and start to
find her own feet and her own mind (oh and let's be honest here, she's
only going to keep on growing and finding her own mind), and I have
watched the Linux Society grow. I know I'm very privileged to have been
involved since the creation of the Linux Society, I remember the first
meeting, the shear terror, the what ifs. If I have watched the society
grow this year, I think it is fair to say the society has watched me
grow too. I remember back, when there was no likelihood of TayLUG coming
back from the brink, that Linux in Dundee was dead before we had a
chance to play our part, and then watching become an integral part of
peoples life, not just the software they put on a spare machine, or the
choice to run no other operating system, but watched become a true
society. I like you guys have made many good friends, and the Linux
Society isn't just about being part of a global user group, but being
part of a local brotherhood. I've shaken hands with every member of the
Linux society, and I do so as a proud servant. I've watched us been
unrecognised, and what recognition we did have was that have being
geeks, to showing being known and accepted. I have watched this group
grow, to many people, from varying back grounds and skills, I have
watched us fight, I have watched is laugh, I have had one of the best
times in my life whilst doing this job.

All I hope is that I have served the society as well as it has served
me

The truth however is, that we are far from finished. That the job
requires us to continue. The society needs to survive all of our
departures at some point, that not everyone knows that if your looking
for Linux or open source in Dundee then we're your guys. We learnt a lot
from freshers fair last year, and we need to apply those lessons to this
year. We've done great, but we can achieve so much more. Abertay's
computing lectures know who we are, but Dundee's other institutes don't.
I wonder how many people are running Linux in Dundee right at this
moment, and don't know about our beautiful community waiting to welcome
them with open arms.

So if your wanting to gift something to the Linux society for all of
it's support and friendship that it has given to all of us over this
year, then gift it your time and volunteer in anyway you can. Help with
the web site, come up with ideas from promoting us, raising funds,
volunteer for freshers, talk to prospective new users, take part and be
counter.

I ended this with a thanks to Lee Hughes, William Cameron, Jennifer
Higgins and everyone that came to the first meeting and everyone of them
afterwards. One year down

Arron