[dundee] A year in the making, a year of growth

Arron M Finnon afinnon at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 21 09:15:08 GMT 2008

Andrew and Kris

How long was it before the march the 15th meeting was it before their
was a TayLUG meeting?

Lee made enquiries way back in September 2006, me and lee meet with some
of the members of tayLUG a couple of months after that, who told us that
there hadn't been meetings for awhile and it was pretty dead (i remember
paul lancaster and jason cormie and someone else who i can't remember
now).  You've said kris that you where a member before you went away on
your work placement and it was dead for that year.

So by my estimates it must have been a good year or two before the last
tayLUG meeting, and the first of the Linux Society.  The Linux society
was set-up due to their being no tayLUG meetings, Lee can vouch for the
effort it took to find out what happened to tayLUG, we tried getting a
hold of the admin with no success.  We ran the Linux society for a
couple of months, and over the summer when Gordon went to KDE in
Glasgow, that's when he was made the admin of tayLUG, which is when the
web site for tayLUG started getting done up.

Since freshers last year, and well before that the linux society has
been heavily promoting the mailing list, gordon and everyone that goes
to a meeting will know.  It's been in direct proportion the mailing
list's activities to the amount of people joining the linux society.

I only post these back to clarify the situation back then, that there
where no meetings for someone wanting to do more with Linux in Dundee
when the Linux Society was created, since then we have held for most
parts a fortnightly meeting, with many varied and different talks and
speakers.  I think to say that there was a mass void before we started
this, and within 12 months the size, depth, and activity that has been
shown is phenomenal, and it would be nice to thank some people who have
given up large chunks of their time to make it happen, i thanked Lee
because he made every effort to find out about tayLUG, and get them
involved with Abertay, and Paul Lancaster and Jason can vouch for that,
i Thanked William Cameroon who went and found out all the paperwork
stuff that we needed to do, and he was the admin driving force behind
it, and Jennifer, as we needed three officers to start the society, no
one had volunteered their time for this apart form myself and William,
and if she hadn't we wouldn't have been able to start.

I think it important the we celebrate our successes and move forward
another year, tayLUG is now a thriving community, but a lot of people
have worked incredible hard at promoting this list and bring new people
on here.