[dundee] Taylug Weekly Articles 15 - LOADS

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 21 23:32:21 GMT 2008

Hi All,
The theme this week LOADS why?, there has been loads of arguments this
week and previous weeks about the world adopting the OOXML standard
for open documentation format. There has been LOADS of accusations of
incompetence in technical standards, corruption and vote rigging in
articles this week as the decision is now being a cliff hanger. I
suddenly realised about the difference between open source and
proprietary software, it is not about performance, quality or security
but about TRUST. With open source you get what it says on the tin
irrespective of the advantages or disadvantages, as it is a known
quotient therefore there is trust. From individuals to large
organisations trust is an important part of relationships. No wonder
IT is going more open source, it is not just about the cost savings or
the quality but in the trust in what you are using.

L – Linux:
Linux on Wall St.
http://www.linuxonwallstreet.com/

Linux is getting better in the enterprise market.
http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2008/03/19/vendor-neutral-linux-certs-becoming-popular/

Novell & Sesame St., if you don't give me the T-shirt then I want the muppet.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8256

Wine release 1.0.
http://wiki.winehq.org/WineReleasePlan

Curl's 10th birthday.
http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2008/03/20/curl-ten-years-today/

O – Open Source:
U.K. Publishing company donating $100,000 to open source projects
(cheaper than Amazon for cost of books).
http://www.packtpub.com/article/packt-donates-over-$100000-to-open-source-projects

This guy likes Drupal 6.
http://www.linux.com/feature/129444

BECTA talks about the Microsoft tax.
http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=616&blogid=17

Open source developers tools.
http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb031808-story06.html

I am sorry to see you go Ivan!
http://radian.org/notebook/maintaining-clarity

Fedora and the GPL.
http://lwn.net/Articles/274000/

A – Audio:
O.K. Kokkini is kool.
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/kokkini-zita-audio-software-fons-adriaensen

Ardour is also audio delicious.
http://linux-audio.net/articles.php?id=25001

Document Format:
India has decided to keep its vote NO on the OOXML standard.
http://www.internetnews.com/software/article.php/3735801

Irregularities in New Zealand, Pamela Jones spills the beans.

Malaysia is going for ODF standard.
http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/03/mampu-migrates.html

So is Iceland.
http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/03/icelands-strong.html

Freiburg in Germany is trying it.
http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7538

Creating a contacts Database in Open Office.
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/6469/1/

S – Security:
Red Hat has released all code for it's security framework.
http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/031908-red-hat-open-sources-security.html

Dealing with spam in Sendmail systems.
http://blog.devhen.com/archives/Setup-a-Spam-Proof-Vacation-Autoresponder-with-Procmail-+-Sendmail.html

An alternative to ssh.
http://www.linux.com/feature/129316

The main thing about TayLUG is how much people really want to get
involved, if they want to be a Lurker or a Poster it does not matter
as long as they enjoy it, I enjoy being the TayLUG Administrator so I
can bore you with my weekly articles.

Gordon
TayLUG Administrator