[dundee] Forwarded more news from the Hannah Maclure Centre

Arron M Finnon afinnon at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 27 11:39:16 GMT 2008

// Forwarded more news from the Hannah Maclure Centre

Cheers Arron. I don't know if you've managed to see our current
exhibition as yet but having spent the last few minutes reading up on
Linux I thought it might also be of interest to you and your members.
I've posted the exhibition info below.

We are also looking for people to take part in creating a large scale
social interactive art work, "Running Stitch" which is part of the
current exhibitionn "Signals in the City". The artists along with Onteca
Ltd, a Liverpool games company, have developed Landlines, software which
enables an audience to use GPS mobile phones as a drawing tool.

Visitors are invited to journey through Dundee whilst their movements
are tracked via satellite and projected live back to the gallery. These
individual GPS drawings of visitors' journeys are then stitched onto the
evolving tapestry revealing hidden aspects of the city, creating a sense
of place and interconnection.

The artists are looking for Urban Ramblers and Stitchers to work with
and help create this map of Dundee. Visit the gallery to pick your GPS
mobile phone and embark on your journey through the streets of Dundee.
Take your favourite walk, track your day to day journey, go somewhere
you've never been before - explore! Upon your return to the gallery see
your travels mapped out on the tapestry and watch as the city of Dundee
emerges from the canvas.

To get involved please contact us on
T: 01382 308324 or email us at exhibitions at abertay.ac.uk

I've attached the full "callout" info. Again I'd appreciate you
spreading the word on this too!

Thankyou!

Clare

An overview of the exhibition......
Signals in the City
Exploration of the urban data, technology and its visualisation

3 March - 2 May 2008

By tagging the urban space using data systems and wireless technologies
we can create and explore maps and representations of the urban
environment in order to experience a place like never before. Invisible
complex data, once visualised, can uncover new ways of thinking about,
interacting with or discovering our urban surroundings.