[dundee] Taaylug Weekly Articles 16 - OSBC

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 29 01:24:15 GMT 2008

Hi All,
This has been a big, big week for open source. I have said this before
when Sun acquired MySQL but this week features the all the shakers and
movers within the World's IT systems. The theme this week is OSBC
(Open Source Business Conference) where the major IT vendors and
spokespersons appeared and gave presentations which included Jim
Whitehurst, the Red Hat chief; Mark Shuttleworth, the Ubuntu chief;
Brad Smith, the Microsoft lawyer chief; Jim Zemlin, Linux Foundation
chief; Steve Pearson of CBS. This conference is getting high IT news
coverage in the United States and proves that Linux is now fully
mainstream where proprietary vendors are a bit worried. Is open source
going to roll forward? No! they are going to Rock 'n Roll forward
because it is cool.

O – Open Source:
So what did we win, Lochee?
http://venturebeat.com/2008/03/26/open-source-business-conference-great-we-won-so-what-did-we-win/

The leaders of open source have their say.
http://www.infoworld.com/infoworld/article/08/03/24/13FE-open-source-roundtable-intro_1.html

What Red Hats said.
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Red-Hat-More-Customer-Involvement-With-Community-Needed/

What Mark Shuttleworth said.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2168

What Microsoft said.
http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9903238-16.html

What the Linux Foundation said.
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/What-Can-Open-Source-Learn-from-Microsoft/

What CBS said.
http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9902736-16.html

The rise of GPL 3.
http://gpl3.blogspot.com/2008/03/gpl-project-watch-list-for-week-of-0321.html

Oh! How I would love to get into this lab, salivation going overtime.
http://port25.technet.com/archive/2008/03/20/inside-the-oss-lab.aspx

Things are going forward in India.
http://www.linux.com/feature/130224

A couple of U.S. teenagers show the way.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88922574

Open source in Africa.
http://www.voanews.com/english/2008-03-21-voa47.cfm

Pamela your are so brilliant, if I wasn't married I would date you.

OOXML processes.
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/03/24/iso-approval-a-good-process-gone-bad/

Hey Jacek funny things are happening in Poland at this moment.
http://polishlinux.org/poland/possible-manipulation-around-ooxml-process-in-poland/

S – Security:
In the hacking contest between Vista, Mac OS & Linux guess which
system was broken first? You would never believe it, do not click on
the the link if you are scared.
http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/032708-gone-in-2-minutes-mac.html

You like secure messaging and Jabber?
http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid39_gci1298150,00.html

The University of Illinois LUG is organizing a hacking conference.
http://www.flourishconf.com/flourish2008/

B -Brainstorming programming:
Ruby, that girl again, she is popular.
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/ruby-mendicant

Different designs in PHP.
http://erent designs
onphowww.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-php-designpatterns/?ca=dgr-lnxw02aFiveMorePHP&S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=GR

Arguments about Google Summer of Code? It shows how popular it is.
http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/03/27/google_summer_code_debian_losers/

Can we get students interested in open source coding.
http://www.linux.com/feature/129882

C – Community & Linux:
This is for Azmodie to keep him occupied.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linux-ps3-1/?ca=dgr-lnxw02aLinuxOnPS3Part1&S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=GR

Ivan, we have the Red Hat and you have the Red flag, maybe we can do business.
http://www.hellmail.co.uk/postalnews/templates/postal_global_news.asp?articleid=402&zoneid=11

So the Red Hat revenue is up 31% due to JBoss.
http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3737136

This is Jboss.
http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/03/27/video-mark-proctor/

O.K. to keep in line with geekdom here are some Linux kernel articles
starting with containerization.
http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/032508-kernel.html

About the Linux-next treee.
http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Plans_for_the_Linux-next_Tree

So everyone is waiting for the awesome 2.6.25 kernel? Come on Linus
get your ass in gear.
http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS5637467946.html

Well I will let Ubuntu users comment on the demise of Automatix, I
have mixed feelings on this.
http://www.getautomatix.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2424

My eldest son has recently formed a rock band, you will not believe
the name of the band ( this is absolutely true), the band is called
"The Gates". Dear Lord I have tried to bring up my children in a
proper way so that I do not live my life in ignominy? Actually I think
I am saved as he uses Linux Mint as well as his Windows XP partition.
My youngest son says to me "It is only an Operating System Dad", aahh
the innocence of children, they don't know how important it is or are
they talking the truth? Hmmm I wonder.

Gordon
TayLUG Administrator