[dundee] IPCOP, etc.

R J Ladyman it at file-away.co.uk
Fri May 9 09:35:26 BST 2008

Further to the tools I was wittering on at the LUG meeting last night (I
didn't ask the gentleman's name, sorry):

Inline analysis: you can make IPCOP your gateway or just insert it between
your current egress and your network, for the period of analysis.

IPCOP and some of its relations:-

IPCOP: http://www.ipcop.org/
Addons for IPCOP are listed here:
http://www.ipcop.org/index.php?module=pnWikka&tag=IPCopAddons

Squid Log analysis: squint and calanal (more are listed on the IPCOP site)
You can also grep through the squid.log for particular sites/addresses which
will allow you to detect infected machines (or at least, the IP in use at the
time).

Copfilter addon for IPCOP: http://www.copfilter.org/

Soho shaper:
http://www.smidsrod.no/products/firewall/supershaper/SuperShaper-SOHO
Set your uplink speed and increase the divisor for the problem protocols.

Protocol blocker: http://mh-lantech.css-hamburg.de/ipcop/download.php?view.151
...but remember the caveats about blocking - throttling is better than
complete strangulation (sometimes).

Squid IP-address destination detection:

acl dottedaddress url_regex ^[^:]*://([^/@]*@)?[0-9\.]*(:|/|$|\?) ^[0-9\.]*$

and then deal with the acl (dottedaddress) accordingly (e.g. deny CONNECT or
whatever).

For a piggyback analysis: tcpdump and wireshark (it used to be called
ethereal).

Also, I would recommend:

Practical TCP/IP
Niall Mansfield
Addison-Wesley
ISBN 0-201-75078-3

which details a number of physical configurations for monitoring and analysis,
using both *nux and Windows machines.

--

Robert Ladyman
File-Away Limited, 32 Church Street,Newtyle
VOIP: 7714336 at sipgate.co.uk

http://www.file-away.co.uk