[dundee] Sun Gear For Sale (Part 1)

Simon Wells swells at computing.dundee.ac.uk
Wed May 21 10:46:25 BST 2008

Hi Guys,

I am thinning out my Sun collection a little, as I running out of
space (both at work & home), so there are a number of items that will
come up for grabs over the next few days & weeks. I thought that local
Linux users might like to get first dibs before the ebay bargain
hunters, so here goes...

1. First up is a Sun Ultra 80 Workstation (4x450MHz USII, 2GB RAM,
2*50GB SCSI HDD, Creator 3D). This was Suns top multiprocessor
workstation a few years back and represented the pinnacle of the old
Ultra workstation line. They are actually quite rare in the second
hand market and only come up for sale on an infrequent basis. I am
looking for about £275 for this but we can chat off the list and maybe
strike a deal.

2. Second up, I have a Sun Enterprise E420R rack-mount server
(2*450MHz USII, 4GB RAM, 2*18.2GB SCSI HDD). I am looking for around
£125 for this but again we can discuss a deal.

If you want to buy the two then I would accept about £350 but am open
to offers so you might get a bargain.

The parts are pretty much interchangeable between the two as the ultra
80 is merely an e420r server in a quiet desktop case. So you can move
RAM, CPU, HDD, Motherboard, &c., about between the two to create a
useful desktop/server combination. Or keep one as spares for the other.

Either machines will run Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, &c. I currently have
the Ultra80 running Debian Sparc 4.0r3 with a Fluxbox desktop and it
is a very useable and reliable machine if you want to experiment with
running a different architecture to x86 or just want some reliable
bomb-proof hardware.

If anyone is interested or wants to find out more then send me an
email and we can discuss stuff.

Simon