[dundee] WPA Cracked

Iain Barnett iainspeed at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 22:22:27 UTC 2008

Does that WPA include WPA2 ?

On 7 Nov 2008, at 7:22 pm, gordon dunlop wrote:

> You know what really gets me is that he is going to publish a
> scientific paper on this. Here is a very secure system whereby
> 99.99999999999999% of people cannot crack. An ultra-security geek
> comes along to crack things so he can announce to the world that he
> has done it (so he can get all the egotistic credits) and then publish
> his results informing all computer criminality how to do it. This
> could make all normal user homes (non-geeks) at risk, whilst before
> they were not at risk. Is this really responsible? I really wonder
> whether some security researchers are out for their own ego rather
> than looking at general public security.
>
> Gordon

You only know that he's been honest enough to let you know he can do
it. There could be any number of people out there who already know
how to hack it.

Gaining prestige is often used as an argument for open-source, so
it's harsh to turn the argument against someone for taking the
plaudits instead of the cash.

Iain