[dundee] Linux Meeting - Feedback

Arron Finnon afinnon at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 21 15:05:12 UTC 2008

Hi Guys,

Just a recap from what was discussed last night at the meeting.

~~~~~
Website
~~~~~

General feedback was that the site suffers from usability issues,
which i tend to agree with.  It was decided prior to the meeting that
we needed to do something, and the members agreed last night.

We proposed two things, firstly we where going to change the site as a
matter of urgency and cut some of the options down.  Turn off the
forum and the likes.

A call for members to help was made by both Kris D, Kris F and myself.
 Some members where very supportive of this, and it was decided and
voted that a separate evening should be put to the side, and those
members interesting in pitching a hand would come.  In response i will
make contact with the university and organize a room for that.  More
information will be posted about this shortly.  However it was also
requested by the team that currently supports the site, that we need
more contributors, and that content does not need to be
Linux-Specific.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Software Freedom Day 2008
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The feedback from the members what that SFD 2008 was a great success,
however i made mention of the difficult time and the stress organizing
this event caused.  It was agreed by the members that no one
individual should be in the position again.  It was decided that if
this event was to take place that a team be put togther and that time
and organization would be needed.  The officers would also like to
thank each and every volunteer at the event for all of their hard
work, without you guys it would have never been the day it turned out
to be.

It was also suggested and passed that a thank you letter should be
sent to HMC for all of their hardwork in making the day so special.

The suggestion of holding a SFD 2009 was made an passed, in response
to that i will make contact with the HMC again and request the Gallery
again.

It was suggested that we could start our own special Dundee event, to
celibate what we do.  However it was agreed that the current climate
may not lend its self to this.  Further time would be need to come to
conclusions about this.

I shall let you know soon about SFD2009

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
University and Open Source
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There has been much call from members about the use of Open Office at
the university, and further use of open source.  Members voiced their
disappointment of the lack of an Open Source lab at the university
(much the same as the Game Tech space, and the White Space)

The issue of Open Office has been raised with postive support from
students and lectures at Programme executives meeting, and it was also
suggested that all members should make contact with their class reps
about this too.

It was discussed that the Student Association holds a seat on the
University senate, we could lobby the Students Association on the need
and desire for Open Source to be much more widely adopted though out
the university campus.  As well as students making this request to all
of their class reps.

It should be commented that at the end of the year, IS do have a
feedback sort of system where we can make requests, all members should
use this oppertunity to make further requests for Open Source support.

~~~~~
TayLUG
~~~~~

There was nothing to report

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Events & Call for speakers
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was discussed at the meeting about the likelihood of holding an
open office awareness drive, which would incorporate a stand in the
University, fold by a workshop for people wanting to use it.  That the
workshop should be made available to everyone from the community.  I
will make the needed to request from the university and will get back
to you shortly.

Tim Spencer made further requests that members make contact with him
with regards to events and social nights.

The Christmas party as been planned and it will be an evening of all
you can eat Chinese (not really surprised that Linux geeks want a all
you can eat)  The details have been posted on the TayLUG mailing list.

A call for speakers was made, we look like we have something planned
to the end of February as usual make contact with me if you want to do
something.

~~~~~~~~
New Business
~~~~~~~~

No new business was raised

~~~~~~~~

Okay guys that's pretty much it, if you want to add something but
didn't get a chance please feel free to email me and discuss it.

The night was a good success in my mind and would like to thank
everyone that attended and gave their valued feedback

Yours

Arron M Finnon

President

Linux Society