[dundee] Advice on where to buy... LinkStation!

Colin Brough Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 10:46:51 UTC 2008

Dan Bolser wrote:
> My next thought (after actually doing some reading)
> was to buy an 'all in one' solution like the  LinkStation (or
> LinkStation Quad).
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_network-attached_storage_series
>
> Anyone have any experience with boxes like these? They seem to be nice
> and Linux friendly which is good, but I still don't really know what
> is best for my needs ... I want > 1Tb and > 1 disk for a daily file
> system mirror (using rsync).
>
> Any better suggestions than to go with Buffalo?
>
> Finally, where in Dundee would I be able to buy something like this?

I have a Buffalo Linkstation Live with a 750Gb (single) drive in it.
Hardware-wise its nice and quiet and so far very reliable. But I
haven't flashed Linux onto it yet, so its just a Samba server at the
moment - can mount the disk OK on my Linux desktop, but its a Windows
file system, so you lose some file ownership etc information over
against ext3 or whatever your filesystem of choice is.

My intention is to flash Linux on it, set up an rsync server on it,
and move my laser printer from my desktop to hanging off the
Linkstation so I don't need to switch the desktop on to print from the
laptop!

I got mine from http://www.misco.co.uk/, who I've had good experience
with over several years as a supplier. Don't know who would stock them
in Dundee - don't think PC World carries Buffalo.

--

Cheers

Colin

Rev Colin Brough
Minister
Fintry Parish Church of Scotland, Dundee
Scottish Charity Number: SC020742

Colin Brough                             Colin.Brough at blueyonder.co.uk