[dundee] Advice on where to buy... LinkStation!

Simon Wells swells at computing.dundee.ac.uk
Wed Nov 26 10:58:14 UTC 2008

Hi Dan,

I have a linkstation that I got from PC World a couple of years back.
I think it was the last one they ever had because the box was a bit
beat up and looked like it had been around for a while. I haven't seem
them in stock there since. The linkstation is great. On mine there is
a usb port for sharing a networked printer or attaching an external
mirror drive for backups.

If you like the linkstation then it is worth looking at the Kurobox ( http://www.revogear.com/
  ) a version of the linkstation developed purely for hackers and sold
by Revolution, a small spin-out company from Buffalo. There you have a
choice of CPU, from the 266MHz powerpc version to the 400MHz Marvell
Arm CPU.

Failing that the Linksys nslu2 is supposed to be great. I haven't
played with this myself yet but have heard good things. The major
downside to this though is that the drives are external and connected
by USB so your ability to get drives to spin down may vary. However
the older machine is supposed to be better than the newer replacement
with the built in drives.

Simon

On 24 Nov 2008, at 09:16, Dan Bolser wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Having tried to ressurect my old 'file server' and finding that
> 'massive' 100Gb disk in a bad state, not to mention loud, I decided to
> upgrade my network storage solution package... or something.
>
> My first thought was to buy a new wireless router with a USB port,
> then connect some USB disks. However, the slow speed and lack of
> SMARTD that USB implies, and the need to upgrade my router have put me
> off this solution. My next thought (after actually doing some reading)
> was to buy an 'all in one' solution like the  LinkStation (or
> LinkStation Quad).
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_network-attached_storage_series
>

> Anyone have any experience with boxes like these? They seem to be nice
> and Linux friendly which is good, but I still don't really know what
> is best for my needs ... I want > 1Tb and > 1 disk for a daily file
> system mirror (using rsync).
>
> Any better suggestions than to go with Buffalo?
>
> Finally, where in Dundee would I be able to buy something like this?
>
> Cheers,
> Dan.
>

> --
> http://network.nature.com/profile/dan

Dr. Simon Wells

E-mail: 	swells at computing.dundee.ac.uk
IM: 		sw3lls at yahoo.co.uk
Mail: 	School of Computing,
		Queen Mother Building,
		University of Dundee,
		Dundee, DD1 4HN.
WWW: 	http://www.computing.dundee.ac.uk/staff/swells/
Phone: 	+44 (0)1382 386 526
Fax:		+44 (0)1382 385 509 (FAO: Simon Wells)