[dundee] Compiling GTK+ libX11 not found.. Argh!

christopher wyllie cgwyllie at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 28 01:04:01 UTC 2008

Hello everyone,

I have a somewhat annoying problem when trying to compile GTK+2.14.5 from
source. I've satisfied all its dependencies from source too and installed
all the -dev packages that I can find for X. However, during the configure
step, I get the following problem:

$ ./configure --preifx=/opt/gtk --x-libraries=/usr/lib
$ ...
$ checking for XOpenDisplay... no
$ configure: error: *** libX11 not found. Check 'config.log' for more
details.

I have checked, the libX11.so is definitely in the /usr/lib directory along
with a couple of symlinks to itself under slightly different names (.so.6,
.so.6.2.0).

Has anyone seen this problem before and found a solution? It's driving me
mad that I can't get the latest GIMP and Firefox working without this!

Many thanks to you all and Merry Christmas,
  Chris :-)