[dundee] cameras

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Tue Sep 23 23:34:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:17:33 +0100, Daniel Lamb wrote:

> Andrew Clayton wrote:
> > On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 15:13:07 +0100, Daniel Lamb wrote:
> >

> >> Hi Guys,
> >>
> >> Just wondering if anyone has ever done this before, I am wanting
> >> to setup a live feed from a webcam to a website, the only problem
> >> is the camera will not be on a static ip and I wont be able to
> >> access the router(it is sitting on a pc which will be using a
> >> shared wireless connection), anyways anyone done this?
> >>

> > Well I did used to work for a company called CamVista!
> >
> > IP camera or webcam?
> >
> > The simpler solution is not real-time feed, but maybe an image every
> > few seconds.
> >
> > In any case, what you probably want to do is ftp the image
> > from the camera (IP camera should be able to do this directly, at
> > the Axis stuff could) to the website or you capture the image from
> > your webcam then ftp it up to the website.
> >
> > In either case it doesn't matter if your IP is static or not. Then
> > it's up to you how you expose the images, simple meta refresh to
> > java applet hideousness.
> >

> > If you want a real-time feed then capturing the video from your
> > webcam should be trivial, you'd then want to put that up to a
> > server for distribution. Maybe look at Flumotion,
> > http://www.flumotion.net/
> >
> > I have done something like with with my N800. The video/audio stream
> > was sent directly to a machine running VLC, which could then be
> > broadcast on the network.
> >

> > Andrew

> > Chat on IRC, #tlug on dundee.lug.org.uk
> >

> Very interesting, it will be with webcams, I have looked at various
> opensource software and i can do the image easily but cant get a feed
> to a server, I did try with vlc as well and it works locally but can
> not get it to work remotely,(sending it via udp to the base ip
> address then port forwarding to the pc with vlc to pick up the feed.

Here's the config I had for VLC

v=0
o=- 37 614155991 IN IP4 127.0.0.0
s=QuickTime
t=0 0
a=range:npt=now-
m=audio 5432 RTP/AVP 0
c=IN IP4 n800.digital-domain.net
b=AS:63
m=video 5434 RTP/AVP 96
c=IN IP4 n800.digital-domain.net
a=rtpmap:96 H263-2000/90000
a=fmtp:96
a=cliprect:0,0,144,176
a=framesize:96 176-144

Change n800.digital-domain.net to the IP/hostname of the machine with
the webcam. Save it as webcam.sdp and run with vlc webcam.sdp

On the n800 I used the following script

#!/bin/sh

VPORT=5434
APORT=5432

gst-launch-0.10 v4l2src ! \
    video/x-raw-yuv,width=176,height=144,framerate=\(fraction\)15/1 ! \
    hantro4200enc stream-type=1 profile-and-level=1001 ! \
    video/x-h263,framerate=\(fraction\)15/1 ! rtph263ppay mtu=1438 ! \
    udpsink host=$1 port=$VPORT dsppcmsrc ! queue ! \
    audio/x-raw-int,channels=1,rate=8000 ! mulawenc ! rtppcmupay mtu=1438 ! \
    udpsink host=$1 port=$APORT

> regards,
> Daniel

Andrew