[dundee] Suggest wireless usb stick

azmodie azmodie at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 20:52:47 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 1:51 PM, <tr.simpson at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a good wireless usb stick for running a ubuntu studio
> 8.04 setup that is in too awkward a location to install a wired connection
>
> thanks
>
> Tim Simpson

Hi Tim,  I'm currently using a TP-Link TL-WN620G usb wifi dongle.  i
actually bought it in disc depot on bank st.
It uses the atheros chipset. unfortunately the madwifi drivers do not
support usb. This leaves us using ndiswrapper
and the 32bit Windows XP  driver (not sure if there is 64 bit driver).

The card itself works prity well. i have had no real problems with it. just
would have prefered not using ndiswrapper.

I can lend you it to see if its any use before you go out and buy one
yourself.

although you might be better with one that is supporte.

i'll give you the download link for the driver and install instructions
anyway. (someone might have one lying around)

driver download page :
http://www.tp-link.com/support/download.asp?a=1&m=TL-WN620G

instalation :

download and extract drivers.

Install ndiswrapper ( must be above version 1.45, version 1.50 in ubuntu
hardy repo):
sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils

cd to the Win2000_XP/Driver Files  folder in folder you extracted drivers
to.

Install the driver : (Note they must be installed in the following order or
it will fail)
sudo ndiswrapper -i net5523.inf
sudo ndiswrapper -i athfmwdl.inf

Add alias to /etc/ndiswrapper:
sudo ndiswrapper -m
Load ndiswrapper module:
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

check device is installed :
ndiswrapper -l

Hope that helps.

azmodie ( aka Kris Findlay)
--
" Due to the speed of light being faster than the speed of sound people
often look bright until they speak"