[dundee] VMWare Server 2.0

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Tue Sep 30 22:25:47 UTC 2008

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 22:39:18 +0100, gordon dunlop wrote:

> I downloaded the new VMWare Server 2.0 and road tested it. The
> download is approx. 500MB compared to the old 1.06 Server approx 100MB
> (5 times as large). They had a 64-bit Linux version which I installed
> on my Fedora machine (use the tar version and not the rpm version).
> The interface is through a web browser (https) rather than through a
> desktop interface, initially you can only log on as root, but then you
> can set your VM permissions to user or group if required. My initial
> feedback is that it is awesome (virtualisation competition really
> hotting up as companies try to improve their product). One of the best
> things was that it monitored actual virtual CPU and virtual memory
> used, most recommendations for setting of virtual memory has been
> minimum of 128MB for virtual box and 256MB for VMWare and Xen. I know
> these settings has been a load of crap in getting OS's to run
> reasonably under normal operational and application load, where my
> rule of thumb has been 512MB for normal distros and 256MB for
> lightweight distros (up-to-date distros) for them to run reasonably.

Or 128MB if you only need some lightweight server, e.g light mysql
usage , at work I have a couple of these running under xen.

$ free -m
Mem:           128        125          2          0         18         22
-/+ buffers/cache:         84         43
Swap:         1027          0       1027

Plenty free memory!

Andrew