[dundee] Network controlled kettle?

christopher wyllie cgwyllie at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 2 03:27:26 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

This will perhaps seem like a strange request but that may just be a result
of it being 20 past 4 in the morning. Anyway, does anyone have any ideas of
how I could get my hands on some hardware to create an ethernet controlled
kettle?

I'm ideally looking for some sort of embedded I/O device that I can plug
with ethernet into a router and then fire requests at over the network to
turn the kettle on and off. Can anyone suggest anything which would have
these capabilities? Embedded Linux would be cool but I was also looking at
picaxe micro controllers but they don't seem to have an ethernet connectable
board (although if I bought all the bits, I could make my own damn
intelligent kettle, they have all the sensors and stuff like that :P).

It would be a bonus if the components are quite cheap also because that may
make the difference between this being a possible dream and an "is it
technically feasible" kind of dream :P

Anyways, thanks and salutations,
 Chris