[dundee] LinuxFest Northwest 2009 - 10th Anniversary

gordon dunlop astrozubenel at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 24 10:21:50 UTC 2009

This weekend the LinuxFest Northwest 2009 conference (10th Anniversary) will
be held in Bellingham, Washington State and includes the Linux legend Jon
"Maddog" Hall:

 http://linuxfestnorthwest.org/press.html

There will be plenty of speakers (hopefully lots of videos will be posted
later):

http://blug.org/fest2009/schedule.dxp

There are videos from 2008 that will interest some of you:

http://linuxfestnorthwest.org/2008.html

The intriguing part of this conference is the way that the Linux User Groups
of Washington State are heavily involved in the organization and
participation. Their websites are under the "Presented By" heading, I was
having a good peek at their websites. All the more surprising here is that
Washington State is the home state of a well known software company and
these Linux User Groups are providing a strong Linux presence.
I am still waiting for videos to be posted from a couple of North American
conferences, they seem to take longer than their European counterparts in
posting them on the internet.

A new botnet ensnares Government PC's:

Here is an interview with Ricky Zhou of the Fedora Project, what will
interest Abertay students is that Ricky is a 1st year Computer Science
student at Carnegie Mellon University, he is also an intern with Red Hat
(I take this means to be a summer student). In his interview he talks about
how he got involved in open source and in the latter half of the interview
he talks about the use of open source at his University:

http://howsoftwareisbuilt.com/2009/04/15/interview-with-ricky-zhou-fedora-project/

Finally, the latest interview with Linus Torvalds from the Linux Magazine:

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7313/1.html