[dundee] CryptoLicensing For .Net

Rick Moynihan rick.moynihan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 19:58:28 UTC 2009

2009/4/24 Lee Hughes <toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk>:
> 'cyptoLicensing uses the latest military strength, state-of-the-art
> cryptographic technology to ensure that your software and intellectual
> property is protected.'
>
> for just 'US $149' ninty nine?
>

> does military grade encryption and a $149 price tag go together?

Sure smells like snake-oil to me...  Military Grade Encryption is a
cheap, freely available commodity (e.g. GPG/open-ssl etc...) but at
the end of the day it doesn't matter how secure your house is if you
leave your keys lying around.

Licensing servers, like DRM are trying to implement the impossible as
they rely on uncompromised code on the client to test 'validity'.

This process can only be made more inconvenient by the presence of TPM
hardware; but it's unlikely to stop a talented hacker with a few days
to kill.

Not exactly military grade!

R.