[dundee] Fwd: [ubuntu-uk] Disable touchpad while typing

Andrew Clayton andrew at digital-domain.net
Sun Apr 26 12:01:36 UTC 2009

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 12:12:17 +0100, Dan Bolser wrote:

> That's working great on my Hardy laptop (a gripe I never got round to
> investigating), however, since we're fixing things... I recently
> started to notice a problem with my touchpads vertical scrolling
> function (which I love). The problem is that the vertical scroll
> region of the touch pad extends well beyond the physically defined
> region of the touch pad on the right.
>
> To be clear my touch pad is is about 7cm wide, and there is a small
> vertical ridge at 6cm to demark the 'scrollie button' region. However,
> this feature is active from about the 5th cm along the touchpad. I
> find this really annoying, as I'm just about to move the mouse to
> click, all of a sudden the point I was aiming for is leaping up or
> down the screen (keeping my left hand on the kbd and 'reaching for the
> mouse' with my right hand naturally puts my finger on the right side
> of the touch pad).
>
> How can I configure the region of the touchpad responsible for
> horizontal scrolling? (to make it smaller).

Sounds like you want to adjust the RightEdge Coordinates. Try tweaking
Option "RightEdge" "integer"

Take a look at the synaptics man page (where you'll find a diagram
showing how the touchpad is split up).

How you make this change will vary depending on what versions of the
xserver and synaptics driver you have. You'll either have to do the
SHM/fdi file hack or you'll be able to set this through the xinput
utility.

Andrew