[dundee] thinkpad t43 -

Digit (SG) digit.siljrath at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 30 08:08:22 UTC 2009

in case of hairline fractures...

makes me think i'll be using my ultrabase alot more for the extra
anti-bendyness.

do you get ultrabases for t43 thinkpads?  might help... like putting a
broken arm in a splint.   .. not that it's likely to heal though.

2009/4/29 Lee Hughes <toxicnaan at yahoo.co.uk>

> okay,
>
> somebody has given me a thinkpad to repair, and it's certainly a weird
> problem.
>
> it's a thinkpad t43, and a works fine apart from now and the the machine
> will freeze, and lockup. However applying pressure to the left or right palm
> rest, the machine springs into life again. Linux just pauses, and the
> springs right back into life again without problem :-). It's a cool effect.
> but annoying.
>
> after dissassembly I've found the following.
>
> The t43 case is flismy, it's allows the mainboard to flex, I believe there
> is a
> hairline fracture in the boardsomewhere, obviously this get worse as the
> machine heats up (and the solder 'moves').
>
> I've read about a similar effect with the video card, however, I don't get
> any gfx corruption , so it kinda rules out that. however I don't really
> want to do this without confirming this.
>
> http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?p=386104
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oVxGGPdkbc
>
> however, I think my problems maybe todo with the RTC / Crystal Generators,
>
> http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65247
>
> I do get lots of RTC errors in the kernel log.
>
> so, what I am asking for?, well ... I thought you'd be interrested in
> reflowing,
> and BGA which is a interesting process. The flexing problem in the T range
> of thinkpads is well documented.
> However, levono refuses to fix them out of warranty. shame.
>
> If you have Broken t4x laying around  with a good mainboard, then I'd
> be interested. Keep you eye's peeled for one, or could recommend a good
> laptop repairer in the uk.
>
> in the meantime, any know a good way of detecting hairline fractures in
> laptops!
>
> in motherboards? also this electronics stuff is interesting.
>
> Looks like another laptop to landfill otherwise. :-(
>
> Cheers,
> Lee

http://www.gaudiepod.org.uk gaudiepod.org.uk website gallery and forum.
 prints available to buy.  digital images available for price at your
discression.
http://tinyurl.com/gaudiepodforum